• August 21, 2014 8:30 pmFigment Theater: Sessions @ Studio C
  • August 30, 2014 8:00 pmCrazy Cow Comedy
  • August 30, 2014 9:30 pmThe Comedy Works
  • August 30, 2014 10:00 pmComedy Sportz Philadelphia
  • August 30, 2014 10:30 pmImprov Comedy: PHIT House Teams

Discussing a Bit with Matt Holmes – The Secret to Improv

by Matt Holmes

I learned improv in a way that wasn’t helpful for me logically or in the moment. Eventually, I boiled it down to a simple, underlying 3-step process.

How to Answer
The first lesson I learned for improv was “Yes And.” You agree (saying Yes) and add (starting with And). This made sense; you can’t waste time arguing about invisible stuff, and you can’t have a scene without moving forward.

This had some problems, though. The theory was all about responding. This was step two. What do you do first? I, and my partner, needed something to agree with. Plus, it was so verbal. We were just standing there talking and agreeing.

Also, this led to a lot of concern and pressure about being agreeable. I was worried that I might be doing it wrong; it almost felt like I was a bad person or “didn’t play well with others.”

Saying “Yes And” to everything and anything led to a lot of starts that didn’t go anywhere and tangents that either derailed or fizzled out.

Accepting the facts of the situation is important, but I wanted to know how to begin, and I wanted to get somewhere with it.

First What to Say
Then I learned to get the Who, What, and Where in the first three lines, including names and relationships and a kernel of conflict. This made sense, too. It was a checklist, a to-do list.

The problem for me was the pressure of getting all those details right away. Plus, the end result was a lot of awkward exposition, and I still wasn’t sure what to do next.

It felt like the whole scene was puked out in the first three lines and I was still stranded, but now with a lot of facts nobody cared about. A lot of the information seemed unimportant, too. Sometimes, the location doesn’t really matter. Sometimes, it doesn’t really matter whether you’re playing sisters or just best friends.

I went from “What do I do?” to “What do I do now that we’re twin pirates at the DMV?”

Thinking about Playing
Then I learned “Finding the Game.” How you find it and what exactly a game is were both a bit mysterious.

Jumping on the first unusual thing that happened and asking, “If this is true, what else is also true?” worked and led to some really clear-cut scenes. It was almost like sketch comedy that we made up on the spot.

I had something for the scene to be about and stuff to do based on that premise. I learned that plot was bad and game was good, because plot got people “in their heads.”

The only problem was that I still got stuck in my head thinking about what was also true and what to do next; only now I was confused by the mystic nature of the theory. Plus, I found that every scene was about an usual thing.

It still felt like scenes worked just by luck. I knew what a game was and why to play it, but it was always a challenge to create the rules and play them.

What’s my Motivation?
Then I learned about some real acting. I tried to give my characters a “deal” or a “want” and figure out what my partners were giving their characters. I tried to play real people with back stories and core characteristics.

It was confusing. I was thinking too much. In improv, there’s no time for secrets, especially ones that never get divulged.

This might be helpful for working with a script or improvising to develop one, but if your technique in every improv scene is focused on a want, then that’s what every scene will be about. It’s a good exercise, but it’s not a technique to use every time.

So what do you do to do it?
I boiled down all these elements into three simple steps that I could follow.

• 1. Do something.

It doesn’t matter what. You can choose to be witty or physical or emotional. You can come up with an idea or just be a character. You can purposefully decide specifics or let them emerge later.You, and your partner, and the audience all just need

something.Start the scene and keep it going. It’s okay if it feels vague and uncertain. The audience doesn’t need every detail right away, and they’re more patient than you’d think.

• 2. Do it more.

In improv, you start with a blank slate and draw in some details. When we all have some idea of what’s going on, then we just want to invest in it and get something back.

If you start over or shift gears, it’s like reading the first page from a few different books instead of getting through one story.

• 3. Do it bigger.

Even when something is working and making sense and getting laughs, it needs to go somewhere. Comedy is built on surprise. You can stay on track, but change it up a bit. Grab people by doing what you’re already doing, but bigger in some way.  Go to the Nth degree with whatever it is.

Improv can be trivial and ephemeral. Part of the show, even a really good one, is the aspect that it’s being made up in the moment. You give improv a point and a purpose by picking out something to explore and use.

• Imagine if Beethoven only did one “dah-dah da-DAH!” You’d want more.
  • Imagine if he did it exactly the same way ten times. You’d want it a little different, bigger, softer, played on a flute; not exactly repeated again and again.

3 is Funny, Conclusive, & Ingrained

“Omne trium perfectum” means every set of three is complete. In comedy, we just say that things are funny in threes: the rule of three. Thrice is nice.Two is the smallest number of points needed to establish a pattern with an expectation to follow. Doing something more and then “bigger” satisfies that expectation while still being some kind of surprise.

This is the ‘how.’ The ‘what’ is up to you.
You can follow this technique at any level, no matter who your partners are, no matter your energy level or mood, and it’ll work.
These are the underlying basics. Everything else is personal taste and preference. You can still “Yes, And.” You can still find the game. You can play real or clever or silly or whatever you like, but you can do it with a plan for how.

What you choose to play becomes the game, without having to think about it. You don’t have to find something or hope for anything. You can actively create, just by repeating any choice.Any details missing from the scene aren’t necessary or can be added in later as clarification or a reveal.

Sometimes, you don’t need stakes or emotions or a setting or names, so long as something else is strong enough to fill that void.Sometimes, improvisers patiently explore, listen, agree, and add until they get a good idea. Then, on that good laugh, they edit and start over, grasping at straws again. It’s so much easier to make the first thing that happens into something great and stick with it. There’s less dead air, less to keep track of, and fewer dead ends.

In a story, the plot is created by having characters do something more and bigger. In a game, the moves are repeated (done more) and heightened (done bigger). Even when a scene or sketch takes a turn, that’s just something else that’ll be done more and bigger also.

In improv, you might only see pieces of a larger narrative. If the show doesn’t complete a traditional structure, wrapping up a climax and resolution, the audience won’t care too much, as long as the pieces they saw were good. By repeating and heightening something, you create the slices of a larger pie.Plot asks, “What happens next?” Game asks, “If this is true, what else is true?” Deal asks “Who are these characters, what do they want, and how do they try to get it?” I think this 3-step framework answers all these questions in a pragmatic, practical way so improvisers can relax and play.

You’re not lost; you have a map. Take a step in any direction and keep going.

Matt Holmes is an improviser in Philly. He performs a full improv comedy set with a complete stranger from the audience in Matt& (“playful and winning” –TimeOut Chicago). He also teaches improv, coaches improv groups, and co-founded Rare Bird Show (“Top Shelf Improv” –The Apiary, “arguably the best improv group Philly has ever produced” –AV Club).

Look for the next installment of “Discussing a Bit,” Matt’s monthly WitOut column, on June 1st.

Have a comedy issue or theory you’d like Matt to examine? Email alison@witout.net.

4 comments to Discussing a Bit with Matt Holmes – The Secret to Improv

• <meta NAME="description" Content="Gitarrenunterricht in Münster, Gitarre lernen, Gitarrenunterricht für Kinder, Jugendliche und Erwachsene.Gitarrenlehrer in Münster, Musikunterricht für Gitarre Gitarrenschule in Münster – Gitarrist und Gitarrenlehrer Jan Gryz Gitarrenunterricht in Münster bei Musikschule Münster gitarrenunterricht-muenster, gitarrenunterricht münster, willkommen bei der Gitarrenschule Münster, Gitarrenunterricht in Muenster, münster, Gitarrenschule, Musikunterricht, Musikschule, Gitarrist, Jan Gryz, Gitarrenlehrer, Coverband, gitarre, Jazzband, Jazzquartett, Jazzstandards, Jazzmusik, Rockband, Rockcover, marshall, guitar, Gitarre, E-Gitarre, Fender, , Improvisation, Harmonielehre, Gehoerbildung, Stadtfest, gitarrengruppe, Verdancy, Annette-von-Droste-Hülshoff-, Gitarreninstitut, Guitar, Music, private Feier, Akkordeon,MOTET, Tonstudio

• hello!,I love your writing very a lot! proportion we be in contact more about your article on AOL? I need a specialist in this space to unravel my problem. May be that’s you! Looking forward to peer you.

• Hi there good weblog! Man. Fantastic. Excellent. I’ll book mark your web site plus make for likewise? We are glad to search out a great number of very helpful data the following inside upload, we require grow far more methods in this connection, many thanks for sharing.

• We’ve been a number of volunteers and launching a completely new design in our online community. Your blog provided us precious information in order to works of art in. You might have carried out your solid career and each of our full collection can be grateful to you personally.