• February 7, 2014 7:30 pmFirst Fridays w/ Interrobang
  • December 5, 2014 8:00 pmThe N Crowd
  • December 5, 2014 8:00 pmCrazy Cow Comedy
  • December 5, 2014 8:30 pmFigment Theater: Sessions @ Studio C
  • December 5, 2014 9:30 pmFigment Theater: Sessions @ Studio C
  • December 6, 2014Nationally Touring Headline Comedians @ Heliun
  • December 6, 2014Nationally Touring Headline Comedians @ Helium

Interview with Sylis P. of ‘McGilliCOMEDY’

A new comedy show is coming to the Philly ‘burbs this weekend: It’s McGilliCOMEDY at J.P. McGillicuddy’s in Manayunk, hosted by Sylis P.  Here’s Sylis to talk about how he got started doing stand-up, why he’s interested in taking comedy outside the city limits, and what you can expect on his show:

WitOut: For people who might not be familiar with you, can you give a brief history of your comedy background?

Sylis P.: Like most comics, I started doing stand-up out of jealousy and contempt for the comics I’d watch. I’m still a newbie since I’ve only been doing this for a year, but my soul has been dead for most of my life, so I think that’s an applied credit towards my resume. If you’re a recluse like me, you can find me on Twitter @SylisP and facebook.com/SylisP.

WO: Is this the first time you’ve hosted your own show?

SP:  It is. I’m still expecting a call from McGillicuddy’s when they realize what they’ve done by giving me a show. Not that I’d disagree with them.

WO: What do you think makes a good host, and/or just a good show in general?

SP: I think having myself, Keane Cobb, Dan Scully and Sidney Gantt on your show is crucial. Luckily I have exactly that!

WO: This show is in Manayunk—there are a few other shows out in the Philly burbs as well, but we don’t often hear a ton about them.  What do you think are some advantages of doing comedy showcases outside the city proper?

SP: I live in Manayunk and I think it’s a prime area for comedy for that very reason: There are so few shows here. There are a ton of young professionals (and unprofessionals) looking for something to do and a reason to get out of the house. Conshohocken, where Sidney does his show, is very similar. The proximity to Main Street is also a strong draw.

WO: Describe the styles of the other three comedians on the show (Sidney Gantt, SP: Dan Scully and Keane Cobb), in three words each.

SP:
Sidney: Hair. Sweaters. Dangerous.
Dan: Ticking. Time. Bomb.
Keane: Hates. Stains. Glasses.

The first ‘McGilliCOMEDY’ is this Saturday, April 13th at JD McGillicuddy’s (111 Cotton Street, Manayunk). Show starts at 8PM. Admission is $10.

2 comments to Interview with Sylis P. of ‘McGilliCOMEDY’

• how would you rank yourself, meatwise, against the titans of the industry? and in your opinion, has shaqs raps gotten too bragadocious?

• Sylis P

Meatwise my ray j is nestled snuggly between the girth of Louie Anderson and the wit of a young Rita Rudner. Shaq needs to chill it out, relax have a hot one and LET’S LINK!