As the year winds down, WitOut collects lists from comedy performers and fans of their favorite moments, comedians, groups, shows, etc. from the last year in Philly comedy. Top 5 of 2012 lists will run throughout December–if you’d like to write one, pitch us your list at email@example.com!
There are so many people and sketch groups that are outstanding, new and veteran comedians that inspire me to keep writing. Here are my five favorite moments from the past year.
1) I work with the Legendary WID. He makes me laugh. I know it’s old school props and jokes but he is extremely quick witted, smart, and funny. I performed with WID at a bar/restaurant in Gloucester City NJ where the green room was in the kitchen. As WID and I were talking we heard a scratching noise that turned out to be a live raccoon. It dropped out of the drop ceiling, walked on the counter, and started licking the grease from a deep fryer that wasn’t turned on. The owner came in and said “Is he back? Get the f**k outta here!” The raccoon waddled off out the screen door
2) At the same show, there was a very very large woman in attendance. WID asked her name and she said “Echo”. WID’s reply was ” You can say that again!” Then he asked her what she did and she said ” nothing”. WID came back with “Really? I thought you went to KFC and licked other people’s fingers!” She didn’t laugh.
3) Later that night, WID and I saw a gang member try to buy a pack of cigarettes at 28th and Oregon with 790 pennies. He was refused because he didn’t have ID.
4) Every time Oakland Seligson performs at Helium open mic is amazing. He’s like Jake Gylenthall rapping on Monster energy drinks.
5) Amir Golan always makes me laugh consistently.
5.5) Every time someone is roasted or moves to California some idiot dressed as Lincoln walks onstage only to be told to leave.